CHAPTER 3 : Creating a website from scratch
Choose a domain name.
To make it easy to understand, a domain name is your online address, for example : www.microsoft.com, www.disneyland.com, www.howtocookeverything.com, etc. You need to choose a domain name that best represents your niche.
There are two types of domain name :
1. domain names that consist of keywords. For examples : www.howtotrainyourdog.com, www.bestwaytotravel.com
2. domain names that are brandable. For examples : www.microsoft.com, www.samsung.com
The advantage of having a domain name with keywords is that it will be easier for search engine optimization work. The advantage of brandable domain name is that it gives better image and maybe easier to remember. There is not right or wrong in choosing which type of domain name, decide and work with it.
Some rules to remember :
1. do not use hyphens and numbers
2. keep name as short as possible
3. choose only dot-com available domains
4. research and avoid trademark or copyright infringement
5. avoid slang (use yoursite.com instead of ursite.com)
6. avoid trending names as the trend might fade away
7. make it easy to remember
8. do not misspell popular domain name and make it yours (for example : you use www.samsang.com, misspelled from www.samsung.com)
Web hosting service is a type of internet hosting service that allows websites to be accessible via the World Wide Web. Domain name registration and web hosting are often packaged together.
Below are some factors to consider when choosing your web hosting provider :
1. Server reliability / uptime scores - You need a web host that is operating on a powerful and stable server with 99.5% and above uptime score; anything below 99% is unacceptable. There are several ways to obtain web host uptime info. Click here to understand more about server reliability.
2. Easy-To-Use Hosting Control Panel - A hosting control panel is a web-based interface provided by the hosting company that allows users to manage their various hosted services in a single place. You need a functional and user-friendly hosting control panel. I suggest you choose a hosting service that uses C-Panel as its control panel. C-Panel is a user-friendly control panel and is used by most of the hosting companies.
3. Technical support - You want a hosting company that provides 24/7 technical support, all year around. I will not consider a host which does not provide support on weekends or public holidays.
4. Multiple add on domains - Check if the hosting package allows more than one domain hosting because you may want to own more than one website later.
5. Automatic backups - This is a very important "must have" feature. You never know when your website is going to crash. Backups can save you tremendous amount of time if your website crashes, you can have your website up and running again only with a few clicks.
6. WordPress friendly - You want to have a hosting company that have worked closely with WordPress to create a hosting platform ideal for running WordPress websites. With WordPress friendly hosting, you can set up WordPress with just a click and manage all your installations from one place.
I recommend you choose either Bluehost or HostGator, they are among the top service providers in the world, offering very competitive pricing packages, good customer service, 24/7 technical support, WordPress friendly and most of all they are very reliable. Check them out now, decide and subscribe to one of them.
You need to have a domain name and hosting service before you move to the next section. Get them done now before moving on. Click on the images below to access to their websites.
Creating your WordPress website
Watch the video below and follow the instructions step-by-step. Do not worry about the design at the moment, you can change the website design after you have learned how to use WordPress.
This YouTube video is courtesy from ODi Productions.